Thursday, April 11, 2024

Spitfire 'Floatplane'

A small number of Spitfires, of different marks, were transformed into Floatplanes, allowing them to land on and take off from water. It appears the experiment wasn't a success, as fewer than half a dozen were so changed. 

I did manage to get my hands on a 1:72 model of a Spitfire 'Floatplane', though!


Going through what is rightfully called the "Ultimate Spitfire Bible", ...


... I found some pictures of the actual aircraft my model is based on!


Now it's not difficult to see a resemblance to the Supermarine S4, S5 and S6 seaplanes which competed in the Schneider Trophy, held between 1913 and 1931. And guess who designed these seaplanes? Indeed, RJ Mitchell ... 




Got myself a book on the history of the Schneider Trophy:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't snore ...

 Couldn't resist ... Really. Could. Not. Resist. But I'm not the only one!