Friday, March 8, 2024

Battle of Britain fighter planes

When visiting Solent Sky Museum, we saw several Spitfire models for sale in their shop. I thought it would be nice to have a few of those at home, but wasn't sure what would be the best for a small collection in terms of scale (1:48? 1:72? 1:144?) and material (diecast-ready-to-go vs plastic-still-to-be-glued-and-painted?). So, in the end, I didn't buy one, though I did buy a fridge magnet!

Back home, I did some googling around (especially eBay) to see what's out there, and decided on ready-to-go diecast models (rather than plastic, which still needed glueing and painting), and 1:72 as the most appropriate scale (1:48 would be too big for me). 

So here is the first of that 1:72 Spitfire diecast model collection: a Spitfire Mk I

Of course, say 'Spitfire' and you say 'Battle of Britain'. I decided to get a few aircraft models around the Spitfire that epitomise the 'Battle of Britain'. For this, I opted for two more fighter planes on the RAF side besides the Spitfire: a Hawker Hurricane Mk I and a Gloster Gladiator.

And then two Luftwaffe planes: a Messerschmitt Bf109 and a Junkers JU 87B 'Stuka'. Here are those five plane models together:


Back to the Spitfire model, I found a picture of the actual plane that the model is based on, damaged in a landing after the pilot became disoriented by ground mist.


Finally, I wanted to read and learn more about the 'Battle of Britain' and found this book to be highly recommended: The Most Dangerous Enemy


Oh, by the way, this is the fridge magnet (though not on our fridge)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't snore ...

 Couldn't resist ... Really. Could. Not. Resist. But I'm not the only one!