Sunday, August 11, 2024

'Barbie' Spit

Some Spitfires were adapted for photo reconnaissance (PR) sorties, and they usually had a different paint scheme, pink or blue. Pink paint was used to make them less conspicuous against a sunset sky. I've seen those pink aircraft being referred to as 'Barbie' Spits in at least one source. 

Clearly, I had to have a 'Barbie' Spitfire in the collection; here she is!


And as far as I can tell, this is a picture of the actual aircraft the model is based on.


The pink PR Spitfire seems to only come as a set together with a blue PR Mosquito, so I took that one as an extra, as I definitely wanted a 'Barbie' Spitfire!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Supermarine factory sites - then and now

This is an aerial photo of the Supermarine Woolston factory on the banks of the Itchen in the 1930s, prior to it being bombed by the Luftwaf...